Driver Turnover Increasing, No Relief for Staff Managing DQ Files
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) considers monitoring the qualifications and safety performance of your drivers to be a critical element in maintaining a safe carrier operation.
The FMCSR guidelines outline minimum requirements and documentation for maintaining a Driver Qualification (DQ) file. It is more important than ever to manage these DQ Files well because in June 2018, ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello released turnover figures for the first quarter of 2018.
According to ATA’s Trucking Activity Report, the annualized turnover rate for large truckload carriers (fleets with more than $30 million in annual revenue) jumped six points to 94%. At smaller truckload carriers, the turnover rate was still seven points higher than for the same period the previous year.
Costello said, “Carriers continue to struggle both recruiting and retaining quality drivers – leading to increasing wages. The tight driver market should continue and will be a source of concern for carriers in the months ahead.”
So, if you think managing your DQ Files will ever get easier, you are mistaken. There is no end in sight for the turnover of your drivers, which is the most annoying part of managing DQ Files.
At minimum, an annual review of driving performance and insuring driving credentials are valid can weed out unsafe drivers or pin point areas where further training could correct bad driving habits before they negatively impact your company. On top of this, staff who manages DQ files must create, verify, and store new or past driver files in the midst of this never-ending driver turnover.
But there is relief out there for your companies who want to simplify their driver qualification file management. Using a file management service, like Glostone, can electronically maintain all of the required DQ file documents for your review or DOT audit. Glostone’s system identifies missing documents, tracks credential renewal dates, initiates the annual review process and keeps you informed every step of the way.
This DQ Management process includes:
- Upload all current DQ files into the system and review for compliance
- Electronically maintain each DQ file, by driver, by terminal
- Send alerts, action emails and follow up by one of our Safety Compliance Specialists regarding missing, expiring documents and/or upcoming compliance deadlines.
- Provide Customized DOT and Company required pre-hire documents to each driver applicant
- Work with each driver to complete forms and ensure 100% compliance (see DQ File Preparation Service)
- When hired, work with management to identify and complete required post-hire driver documents
- Initiate DOT and company required periodic file updates including ordering driver Motor Vehicle Records (MVR’s)
- Customizable option to upload Company specific documents and material
For companies wanting to go beyond minimum DQ file requirements, customized programs can include:
- Gathering additional violation history (PSP report)
- Completing criminal and Social Security back ground checks,
- Inserting/reviewing specific company policies,
- Onboarding training videos
- Driver retention programs
Want to learn more about DQ File Management or want to reach out to our Glostone staff? Fill out the form below: