FMCSA announced several changes to regulations mandated by FAST Act
FMCSA has announced several changes to the regulations that were mandated by the FAST Act. Because these “non-discretionary” changes were mandated by Congress, the agency bypassed the standard notice and comment process and simply issued a final rule adopting these changes.
- Lengthening the maximum period for an exemption from 2 – 5 years; making permanent the 30-minute rest break exemptions that had previously been granted to drivers hauling ready-mix concrete, bees and livestock
- An ELD exemption for drivers of recreational vehicles in drive-away/tow-away operations
- Various regulatory exemptions for covered-farm vehicle operators
- An hours-of-service logging exemption for drivers of ready-mix concrete trucks
- An expansion of the air mile radius limitation for drivers of construction materials and equipment using an existing 24-hour restart provision
- Various exemptions for drivers of welding trucks in the pipeline industry
- And an HM endorsement exemption for drivers carrying less than 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel in agricultural operations.
For full details, see the notice at this link.