Your Trucking Solutions Now Loading.

Please wait.



Glostone News

Compliance Question of the Week!

posted in Blog by

If a company pick-up truck is carrying a tote (275 gal capacity), containing 120 gal of placard class 3 material in the bed, is the pick-up required to display the company United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) numbers on the vehicle?

Answer:  Yes and more!

Carrying a quantity of hazardous materials that requires placards is one of the criteria in part §390.5 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) that defines a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV).  Part §390.21 vehicle marking requirements apply to all “self-propelled CMV’s”

Any size vehicle carrying hazardous materials (HazMat) requiring placards places the company, vehicle and driver under the same rules as large truck HazMat operation.  The driver would need a Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card, time sheet or log book, a Class C Commercial Driver License (CDL) with a HazMat endorsement and belong to drug and alcohol random testing program.  The vehicle would require an annual inspection sticker.  The company must be registered as a HazMat carrier with the appropriate permits and the shipping paperwork must include emergency response information.

05 Nov, 12

about author



related posts



latest comments

There are 0 comment. on "Compliance Question of the Week!"