The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) designed the Safety Measurement System (SMS) to be continually improved as better technology, new data, and additional analysis became available. Based on feedback from FMCSA staff, State Partners, industry, and safety advocates, the FMCSA is now proposing its first package of enhancements.
The first package of SMS enhancements will include:
- Strengthening the Vehicle Maintenance Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Category (BASIC) by incorporating cargo/load securement violations from today’s Cargo-Related BASIC.
- Changing the Cargo-Related BASIC to the Hazardous Materials (HM) BASIC to better identify HM-related safety problems.
- Better aligning the SMS with Intermodal Equipment Provider (IEP) regulations.
- Aligning violations that are included in the SMS with Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) inspection levels by eliminating vehicle violations derived from driver-only inspections and driver violations from vehicle-only inspections.
- More accurately identifying carriers involved in transporting HM.
- More accurately identifying carriers involved in transporting passengers.
- Modifying the SMS display to: • Change current terminology, “inconclusive” and “insufficient data,” to fact-based descriptions.
- Separate crashes with injuries and crashes with fatalities.
You can read more about these changes reviewing the FMCSA’s foundational document .
The FMCSA is giving motor carriers the opportunity to preview how these enhancements will affect their current Basic scores. Following the preview period, FMCSA may make final refinements to these changes before implementing it and releasing the revised SMS results to the public
The FMCSA highly recommends that during the preview period that is now in effect, motor carriers should:
- View their operational information to determine if they are now subject to placardable HM or passenger carrier Intervention Thresholds.
- View the new HM BASIC to review applicable inspections and HM violations.
- View the Vehicle Maintenance BASIC to determine how cargo/load securement violations previously recorded in the Cargo-Related BASIC impact their Vehicle Maintenance percentiles, and to see which IEP-related violations have been recorded.
- Verify that vehicle violations found during driver-only inspections and driver violations found during vehicle-only inspections have been removed from their Vehicle Maintenance BASIC data.
- Review alternative terminology for “inconclusive” and “insufficient data” in the BASIC summary.
- View the “Summary of Activities” section of SMS Website to see the new breakout between injury crashes and fatal crashes.
To see how these new measurements affect your SMS scores, login at csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/login.aspx with your US DOT number and pin. Select Visit New SMS Preview Page. Should you need assistance viewing your scores, give us a call at 503-607-1088 and we will be glad to help!
Operate a Reefer Trailer? You May Have a Tax Deduction Coming!
The 18.3 cents federal tax you pay at the gas pump on every single gallon of fuel only applies to self-propelled vehicles. Carriers who purchase fuel to operate a Refrigerated Trailer or other non-road equipment may claim the total amount of taxes paid on these purchases as a deduction on their 2011 income tax using IRS Form 4136. If you are a Glostone Trucking Solutions Fuel Tax Reporting customer and reported reefer fuel purchases to us, we will calculate your deduction and provide a completed form 4136 for you at no additional cost. If you have questions, give us a call at 503-607-1088.
CleanFleet and Prodriver Data Solutions Join Forces
Both CleanFleet and Prodriver are third party administrators for Drug and Alcohol Screening and Consortium management. Both operate with the highest standards and exceed the DOT mandated requirements. As of January 1, 2012, they have been operating under the CleanFleet name. The combined company will operate both the Jubitz Travel Center and the Clackamas locations to better serve the needs of our customers. The staff at each location will also join forces to provide each client with superior screening programs for compliance, safety and the bottom line. Contact them at 503-479-6082 or visit their new website at CleanFleet.org.